All business activities are governed by writing policies and procedures. Much effort is spent on looking at how to draft documents, and, while this is important, it sometimes overshadows the importance of the Policy or Procedure, and related documents such as Specifications and Standards.
The course will look at how these documents are created, and some of the main clauses that appear in them, all using real examples wherever possible.
The course will then consider methods to be used in drafting Policies and Procedures, and, in particular, how to avoid ambiguity and uncertainty. This is an area that generates large numbers of errors, and the aim of the course is to reduce the frequency of such errors and associated disputes.
The course will deal with Policy and Procedure documents written in the English language but will use techniques that have wide application to many types of documents.
Course Objectives of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
- Increase recognition of the use of Policy and Procedures
- Develop drafting skills, which will be useful tools in all types of documents
- Improve clarity of expression in documents
- Increase working knowledge of implications and potential problems with Policy and Procedures
- Better awareness of the commercial impact of drafting issues
- Improve ability to reduce the risks
Course Delegates of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
The course will be beneficial to those who find themselves responsible for leading on or implementing policy and Procedures mechanisms in both the public and the private sector.
In addition, it will raise the awareness of those who have been allocated 'potential' or specific tasks in maintaining Policy and Procedures but have insufficient time to devote to the subject.
Course Process of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
The delegates will be involved in the latest trends in seminar presentations. The classroom presentations are made up of interactive practical exercises, supported by audiovisual material and case studies. Delegates will be expected to participate actively in relating the principles of Policy and Procedure writing to the specific needs of their industry.
Course Benefits of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
- Expanding the expertise of personnel involved in developing Policy and Procedures documents will allow project and general management teams to be more effective
- Policy and Procedures documents should better reflect the commercial and other aims of the business
- Policy and Procedures should be more structured and focused on business goals
- Disputes should be reduced, and those that do arise should be settled more quickly, with less cost, delay, and disruption
- Managers should have more confidence in discussing issues
- Dispute avoidance skills will be enhanced
- Improved overall processes
Other key reasons to attend are:
- Gain an opportunity to review Policy and Procedures and understand their importance to business
- Obtain the ability to get a broad view of the importance of Policy and Procedures and similar documents and their role in the organizational management
- Understand the different roles of documents
- Learn drafting skills that will be usable in a wide range of situations
- Have the chance to practice drafting skills in a non-threatening environment
- Improve your strategic thinking on how to develop Policy and Procedures documents
- Learn practical techniques for the drafting of Policy and Procedures
- Improve your understanding of contract wording in the English language
- Identify where things can go wrong, and learn how to avoid problems, or mitigate their effects through well-drafted documents and good management
- Improve your ability to interface with other professionals
Course Results of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
- Provide an understanding of how policy and Procedures are developed
- Consider who needs to be involved in the process of developing such documents
- Investigate issues concerning the use of international technical or other standards
- Improve appreciation of issues in Policy and Procedures and how they relate to other similar documents
- Improve the drafting of work documents
- Reduce the risk of conflict arising from ambiguity or uncertainty
Delegates attending this seminar will gain an improved personal knowledge of Policy and Procedure creation in their organizations, they will learn skills to put into place standards, plans, and strategies which if successfully implemented will increase their professional reputation and improve their ability to deal with the implementation of Policy and Procedures.
Core Competencies of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
- Report writing skills
- Implementation of procedures
- Project management skills
- Management techniques and practices
- Specialist Policy knowledge and awareness
- Preparation and planning skills
- Problem-solving and analytical thinking
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of the key aspects of writing proper Policy and Procedures
- Recognize and prioritize the issues that are most likely to affect corporate reputation and write solid Policies
Course Outlines of Writing Effective Policies & Procedures
Introduction to Policy & Procedure Writing
- Why they are important
- What makes a good Policy
- The structure of Policy and Procedures
- Writing styles
- Incorporation of other documents
The Governance and Roles involved in Policy
- The role of Policy and Procedures
- What needs to be included
- Who needs to be involved
- The review process
- The approval process
How to Implement Policy & Procedures
- Review of examples of Policy and Procedures
- Avoiding ambiguity
- Standards –ISO
- How to ensure staff compliance
Drafting Policy & Procedure
- Drafting guides
- Best practice
- Useful tips
- Effective writing
- Drafting exercises, based on the documents reviewed
Case Studies and Workshops
- Case Studies
- Workshop objectives
- Final wrap-up
Lying on the River Seine, Paris is commonly referred to as the city for lovers, but it's actually a fantastic place for anyone to visit and explore. It's full of history, art, literature and amazing architecture for starters, but is also well known as being home to high fashion, which makes it a popular shopping destination. Visitors to the French Capital will find both high-end designer stores and quirky boutiques. The attractions of Paris range for art museums to shopping to simply taking a walk and soaking up the atmosphere. To top it all off, Paris has plenty of superb food and drink, in case there weren't already enough reasons to travel to Paris.
Things to do and places to visit in Paris
Anyone who travels to Paris is in for a treat, as it is a beautiful city full of atmosphere. Many of Paris' attractions are world-famous, but it's also a city where you can find hidden gems. Taking a flight to Paris for a short visit is really like visiting a number of different cities, as all of its neighbourhoods, or arrondissements, have their own distinct character. Examples include the medieval Latin Quarter and the bohemian Marais. Each and every one is worth exploring.
Great things to do in Paris include:
- Checking out the views from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
- Seeing renowned masterpieces, including the Mona Lisa in the Louvre.
- Taking a tour of the impressive, albeit slightly creepy, Paris Catacombs.
- Marvelling at the beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral.
- Browsing the designer stores around the Champs-Elysees.
- Munching snails in one of the city's haute cuisine eateries.
- Visiting the graves of luminaries including Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison at Pere Lachaise Cemetery.
- Admiring the imposing Arc de Triomphe.
- Wandering around the boutiques of the Marais district.
- Watching the famous Paris St-Germain football team play.
- Taking in the Impressionist art at the Musee D'Orsay.
- Watching the world go by from a cafe terrace.
- Visiting the distinctive Centre Georges Pompidou.